The Department of Computer Science is one of the four academic departments in the School of Computing and Informatics Technology. It aims at offering high quality teaching and research together with outreach in the broad field of computer science.
Academic wise, the department runs the Diploma in Computer Science and Information Technology, The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, The Master of Science in Computer Science and The Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science. More information can be got on the 'programs' link.
In research, the school carries out research in a wide range of areas. Currently, focus is being put on Intelligent systems, pattern recognition, image processing and security. More information can be got from the research link and publications can be got from individual staff pages.
The department strives to offer high quality education, research and outreach. This website is meant to offer you complete information about the department and its activities. It is our hope that you will get the information you need the way you need it.
Candidates seeking admission through this avenue must have obtained:-
- At least a principle pass in Mathematics in the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) or its equivalent
- At least two principle passes at the same sitting in UACE in any of the following subjects: - Economics, Entrepreneurship, Geography, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- A minimum weighted point set by the Makerere University Admissions Board.
For a candidate to be admitted via the diploma scheme, he/she must:
- Have at least 5 passes got at the same sitting of Uganda Certificate of Education or its equivalent, with credits in English and Mathematics
- Have at least 1 principal pass and 2 subsidiary passes from the same sitting of the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) or its equivalent
- Have a Diploma in Computer Science and Information Technology of Makerere University or have at least a Second class (lower division) diploma in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, and Statistics or any other diploma with Mathematics, Computer Science, or Information Technology as one of the subjects. The diploma must be from an Institution recognized by the National Council for Higher Education in Uganda.