Welcome to the Department of Information Technology (IT)! The department strives for the best through its mission:
- Teach academic programs that relate to the dynamic and changing needs of graduates in an information society;
- Advancement of IT knowledge and application through state of the art research;
- Support IT-based advancements in both the industry and society
Established in 2005 as one of the four departments within the School of Computing and Informatics Technology, the department of Information Technology is helping Makerere University to gain national height in the area of Information Technology. This department has been in existence for four years now. In the four years so far, we have tried to work towards exceeding all our expectations and accomplishments. Particularly, the students' achievements, the rising reputation of our department and the faculty at large as well as the thrilling partnerships we have made with the international academia, government and industry friends makes our pride. In the years that follow, and in relation to the Makerere University strategic plan (2008/09 - 2018/19), our department seeks to shift to the next level by focusing on our ability to make IT a fundamental part of the learning enterprise on the Makerere University campus. More so, we are collaborating with various academic and business world partners to effectively incorporate IT into diverse disciplines. To this end, we need your involvement in order to achieve our aims. As a department, our goal is to continuously build on our past four years' achievements, at the same time continuously expand our high-quality program that not only includes outstanding department staff, a highly-developed curriculum, exceptional facilities, growing and recognized research, but also challenging students at different levels. The department offers three degree programs and two diploma (ordinary and graduate) programs, respectively. These are: Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT), Masters in Information Technology (MIT) and a Ph.D in Information Technology (Ph.DIT), Diploma in Information Technology (DIT) and a Post Graduate Diploma in Information Technology (PGDIT). The department undertakes research in e-learning, multimedia technologies, and ICT for development in striving to expand our national reputation. The IT department represents the joint efforts of the Makerere University, the private industry and Uganda as a nation to address the growing worldwide needs for knowledgeable professionals in the area of Information Technology. In order to address these needs, we are guided by the following objectives of the IT program:
- Build IT human resource capacity in both the public and private sectors, especially in universities;
- Develop professionals with theoretical and practical skills in the Information Technology (IT) sector;
- Strengthen capacity and institutional building in the IT discipline in tertiary institutions, private and public sectors.
Hope you will enjoy our programs and research activities.
- The Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) or its equivalent, with credits in English and Mathematics.
- At least two principal passes at the same sitting in Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) in any two subjects (Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Chemistry and Biology and Entrepreneurship
- At least any second Class (lower division) diploma from a recognized institution.
- Candidates who hold a Diploma in Computer Science and Information Technology from Makerere University with at least second class (lower division) shall be admitted to second year of Bachelor of Information Technology. Candidates who hold a pass class of the same diploma shall be admitted to first year of Bachelor of Information Technology.