The College of Computing and Information Sciences has signed an MoU with NFT Consult Ltd (www.nftconsult.com) to set up a Career Development Centre at the College. Mr. Michael Niyitegeka the CollegeÃ¢‚¬„¢s head of Corporate Relations, said the Centre, located on Block B, Level 6 is an intervention intended to help equip Makerere University students with skills that prepare them for the industry.
Ã¢‚¬Å“Part of the feedback that we have received from the industry is that our students lack the basic skills to enable them go past the interview level,Ã¢‚¬ he said, adding that, Ã¢‚¬Å“it is therefore envisaged that this Centre will go a long way in enabling our students become competitive in the market.Ã¢‚¬
Among other things the Centre will provide:
- Administrative assistance to the university to organise career fairs.
- Expert advice and guidance to students that will enable them to interpret/understand and respond to job advertisements.
- Sessions on CV and cover letter writing skills as well as enhancement of verbal and written communication skills.
- Help for final year students for future job application processes and equipping them with appropriate interview skills.
- Students with a better understanding of the more practical side of employment through talks and seminars from professionals from various sectors.
- Ways to encourage and engage more employers to participate in the internship process.
As part of its first activities, the Centre on Friday 17th February, 2012 hosted Mr. Emmanuel Katongole, the head of IT in the Ministry of Finance and Ms. Susan Namuganyi, a drilling engineer for Tullow Oil, both of whom inspired the students to not only focus on achieving high academic grades but to also build their social skills and contacts as they will also go a long way in helping them get gainful employment.
The Centre, run by Miss. Sifa Porter will hold the Career Talks fortnightly. NFT Consult Ltd, is a Human Resource Consulting Company with its headquarters in Kampala and offices in Rwanda, Burundi and Tanzania.