The research group in Informatics and Visualisation, and the Advanced Modeling and Simulation make up the main research directions pursued in the department of Information Systems of the School of Computing and Informatics Technology of Makerere University.
Informatics focuses on efficient and effective creation, management and utilization of information using ICT in the modern world. Visualization on the other hand focuses on the use of graphic to visually present and explore data/information solely for gaining more insight to complex data.
The Research group seeks to find ways of applying information science principles, information technology, and communication to a wide range of disciplines, with a main focus of presenting and enhancing understanding of data, information, and knowledge discovery processes.
The Research group addresses both theoretical and practical aspects of informatics. Some areas of interest are
- Information and Knowledge management
- Information systems methodologies
- Information Visualization
- Information Retrieval
- Visualization in Information Systems
- Teaching ,Learning and research
- Semiotics in information systems and organizations
- Impact and assessment/evaluation of Information Systems
- Business intelligence and business performance management
- Sustainable and evolvable systems architecture
- Social computing
- Dynamic and semantic web
- Requirements engineering
- Knowledge Management
- Enterprise information systems
- Geographical and Information Systems
- Healthcare management informatics
- e-government and e-business systems, e-learning
- Business and IT strategies
- Collaborative work
Main membership for the center is from staff in the department of information systems at the School of Computing and Informatics Technology, Makerere University. Due to the crosscutting/interdisciplinary nature of some of the research directions outlined above, some members come from sister departments in Computer science, Networks (Software Engineering and data Communications), Information technology. An increasing number of members also come from the Faculties of Medicine and Science.
Funding and research collaborations
The research group encourages members to apply for funding from the Makerere University